So, I wanted to add an ATU to the µBitx v5 I have. Because I’m
cheap an amateur hobbyist (and I like putting kits together), the decision went to the N7DDC ATU 100 tuner. I got the kit from Aliexpress. The case is from Thingiverse.
- good quality PCB, no problems in soldering
- all SMDs already soldered
- PIC preprogrammed
- enough enameled copper wire for all coils
- got a left over capacitor, no idea why
- pins for one button only; other kits I’ve seen online had 3 button breakouts … should not be a problem, the other two seem optional.
There are plenty build guides available online, so I won’t add anything here. Just go slowly, start with small parts first and be careful with the relays – they’re a tight fit. The only fine tweak was measuring all coils with the NanoVNA to ensure they’re close to the specifications. BTW, I quite liked PG5M’s build. Worst part was probably the binocular core wrapping, but I got it done.
Now, I should start reading the manual – but, as will be detailed in a next post, it’s quite straightforward and automatic to use.